Documentation for the handicapped

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Thu Apr 21 06:10:27 UTC 2005

On Thursday 21 April 2005 00:58, Luke Yelavich wrote:
> As for devices, I think the issue here is more how they appear when
> embossed. By embossed I mean printing the Braille out on a braille
> printer, known as an embosser.

Testing on a plain embosser would be our best first step. At present I am
struggling with the difference between Braille 1 and Braille 2. The
contractions in braille 2 are the main problem and I have not found many
example implimentations for 8 key braille and no standard set for
'moon' [http://www.bsblind.co.uk/full/moon/moontype.htm]

I have however found a character set for 8 key.

From the readme I quote:
"2005 March 24

This directory contains a single PDF file containing the complete set
of character code tables and list of character names for The Unicode
Standard, Version 4.1. The purpose of this file is to provide a stable
and complete reference of the code tables and list of character names
for this version of the Unicode Standard.

This file will not be updated with errata, or when additional characters
are assigned to the Unicode Standard. See http://www.unicode.org/charts/
for access to a complete list of the latest character code charts. See
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/Unicode-4.1/ for charts showing only
the characters added in Unicode 4.1. Both of these locations provide
access to multiple files for convenient on-line viewing of individual
code tables.

Fonts
The shapes of the reference glyphs used in these code charts are not
prescriptive. Considerable variation is to be expected in actual fonts.
The particular fonts used in these charts were provided to the Unicode
Consortium by a number of different font designers, who own the rights
to the fonts. See http://www.unicode.org/charts/fonts.html for a list.

Terms of Use
The terms of use for the character code charts differ from the general
terms of use for the Unicode web site or the Unicode Character Database.

You may freely use these code charts for personal or internal business
uses only. You may not incorporate them either wholly or in part into
any product or publication, or otherwise distribute them without express
written permission from the Unicode Consortium. However, you may provide
links to these charts.

The fonts and font data used in production of these Code Charts may NOT
be extracted, or used in any other way in any product or publication,
without permission or license granted by the typeface owner(s).

The Unicode Consortium is not liable for errors or omissions in these
character code charts or any other part of the Unicode Standard itself.

Copyright � 1991-2005 Unicode, Inc. All rights reserved.
See http://www.unicode.org/terms_of_use.html for more information."

What worries me is the statement, "You may not incorporate them either wholly
or in part into any product or publication, or otherwise distribute them
without express written permission from the Unicode Consortium." So our trick
is not to distribute them.

> I would be happy to try and answer any questions you or anybody else has
> regarding Braille. I can also try and help you get in touch with various
> people who work with it on a more regular basis if you like.

Thanks, I have found a set of DSSSLs dating back to early 1900s. This would
require OPENJade. I would like ax XSL 1.0 compliant solution, do you know of
any?

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author