Survey of Ubuntu Users [long]

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 05:19:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-18-04 at 14:53 +1000, Mary Gardiner wrote:

> I don't know if there's a Community Council meeting pending, or whether
> one is being held at UDU. The Community Council webpages are all still
> advertising the last meeting on the 13th April.

well, there was a meeting held on 13th...sort of.  At the scheduled time
of the meeting, no member of the Community Council were present on IRC
(the council has 4 members).  After a wait of 1 hour  finally one showed
up (Mako, after someone called his cell phone), and a meeting was
finally held; but since he was alone  he couldn't vote on any motions or
new memberships. The date of the next meeting hasn't been announced yet.

> However, UDU would be a good opportunity to get to know enough of the
> existing community to be able to satisfy the Community Council's
> requirements for membership.

While I haven't been involved in the documentation team yet, something
that will hopefully change for Breezy as it is one of my current goal to
help your group a small way in incoming months, I have been working
recently to become an Ubuntu member myself (hopefully a quest with a
positive outcome at the next CC meeting).  As such it is my personal
opinion that some members of the doc team have more than enough met the
requirement for membership.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/processes/newmember

"A person who wants to become a member should be engaged in a sustained
level of contribution to the Ubuntu community. This can include coding,
writing or documentation, the creation of art-work, music, testing, bug
triage and verification, translation, advocacy, leadership of LoCo
teams, etc. Contributions should be significant and visible. Anybody who
is active in the Ubuntu community is a good candidate for Ubuntu
membership."

> People wanting to become members should make a wiki page about
> themselves giving some background and an overview of existing
> contributions to Ubuntu...

Yes, that's the first step.  Create a wiki, document your contributions.
Find some current members of the Ubuntu community ready to "testify"
about your contributions to Ubuntu, add your name to the agenda for the
next community council, show up at the meeting, and hopefully they will
accept you as a member :)