Worthwhile critique from Mathew Thomas

matthew.east at breathe.com matthew.east at breathe.com
Thu Apr 14 16:03:00 UTC 2005

> On 4/14/05, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at iserv.net> wrote:
>> I read that "Critque" and was frankly turned off how worthwhile the whole
>> bit was.  It seemed like someone wasn't happy with Ubuntu and had an axe
>> to grind.  Most of it seemed like he had tried to make some "improvements"
>> or suggestions to Ubuntu and then when it was rejected took his ball home
>> and decided to slam the distro as a whole.

{snip}

> Couple of points
> 1. He works for canonical
> 2. He is quite right*
> 3. I agree with him*
> *on most things

I have to say I also agree: it doesn't matter that many of the errors he
points out are due to lack of resources/time in our team, and are focused on
a particular user base: IMO the user base he focuses on is exactly the one
which can most benefit from local help, and I think that we should not take
his points as criticism of our efforts, but rather useful indications for
improvement, time permitting.

> To be blunt and too the point.  We chatted on IRC today. He is going
> to be at the next Docteam irc meeting to share his views.

Yes I noticed that :) Will we therefore be discussing other matters than
simply the question of freeze policy as requested by Matt Z? I think we have
some things to talk about apart from this and would be happy to turn it into
a full blown meeting.