Recent changes to Ubuntu

Mary Gardiner mary-sounder at puzzling.org
Thu Apr 7 22:52:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:33:55AM +0100, matthew.east at breathe.com
> wrote:
> > That sounds like a good idea. I suppose the most important thing for
> > us is being informed about changes which affect our work. The last
> > minute changes are an example of this. Other examples are, as Mary
> > said, when the wiki is rolled back
>
> The wiki being rolled back was completely unintentional, an error.
> The best that could have been done was to communicate it after the
> fact; Henrik didn't contact the -doc list initially, but the message
> reached you nonetheless fairly quickly.

I don't think Matthew thought otherwise: I was the one who raised the
issue of the wiki in connection with this, and *I* don't think
otherwise.

It is obviously the case though that we'd like to know about
documentation data loss, and anything having a similar impact (I can
think of a few examples: svn access being down, long maintainence
windows for the website) as soon as possible. In the case of the wiki
the result was several confused mails to this list: I agree that that's
no big concern since the matter was cleared up within the day, but why
not improve where we can?

The proposed solution is to have the doc team make an effort to follow
development/admin news via a stronger presence on the devel list and
hopefully a (non-member) presence at the technical board meetings. If
this was already happening we probably would have found out about the
wiki rollback a bit sooner. This doesn't imply criticism of existing
procedure above "it's not perfect, we see a way to improve it, let's do
it."

-Mary