Recent changes to Ubuntu

Sean Wheller sean at inwords.co.za
Thu Apr 7 11:16:43 UTC 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 12:37, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> Sean Wheller wrote:
> >Both these issues are not major, but do indicate that communication and
> >workflow are not as tight as they should be. ...
>
> We've not done a great job with Hoary. It was better than with warty,
> but we still lacked a cohesive execution. Andy Fitzsimon is working on
> icons, Cliff Chen was involved, Jeff Waugh was involved, I have
> requirements to be considered and a hard boot for the final look... and
> all of this was sort of semi-decoupled. I think integrating the doc team
> and making an artwork team will help, but the main thing we are missing
> is a lead organiser who keeps track of the moving parts.

Isn't it the role of the package manager to keep track of all moving parts?

> >On our part we also need to be more vigilant. I highly recommend that all
> >authors document against development and not the preview releases. Post
> > Hoary
>
> Well, we could help the doc, i18n and artwork guys if we had a process
> for reporting changes post-preview that would impact on them. We could
> also put in place some sort fo package alerting system, so the doc team
> could get alerted to uploads of specific packages.

Sounds good. Could be mailed to this list. The problem is there are so many
moving parts to keep track of and so many mailing lists. Dunno about you but
I already get around 700 - 800 email message a day. You should see my filters
list in Kmail.

> >In general, devel should just be sensitive to the fact that we also have
> > i18n stuff in our build system. So a single menu change could result in
> > many smaller updates trickling through the ecosystem. On the side of
> > caution, it is best to give early warning especially near preview and
> > final releases.
>
> On this front we've been pretty good. Even the spatial browsing
> behaviour change does not affect UI or translations, though a comment in
> docs would have been a good idea that I missed.

I did not mention that Ubuntu Device Database crept in between the last
preview release and final :-) Although I am to blame here because I did write
the User Manual and neglected to update the Quick Guide. Stupid of me, really
stupid. I should know better, must apologize on that front.

We also missed some really stupid things in About Ubuntu. We mention that we
have Kubuntu and then later in the page say that we have not attempted KDE at
this early stage due to restraints in humand resources to undertake such an
effort. All the eye-balls in the world did not catch that one. I think it is
because we encountered Kubuntu late. Anyway we will be much more aware of it
next release since we will have integrated a documentation effort for Kubuntu
into our repos.

Ah well we continue to learn and improve over time and muddle along ... more
coffee ands rusks; anyone?

--
Sean Wheller
Technical Author