NewWikiAnnouncement

John Hornbeck hornbeck at freeshell.org
Wed Oct 27 21:32:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 18:37 +0100, sparkes wrote:
> Louise McCance-Price wrote:
> > Hiya sparkes
>
> Hi Lu
>

> > In the Plone website we have different content types.  Depending on what
> > content type, we have different formats available.
>
> <snip list>
> >
> > What do you suggest we use? MoinMoin for the wiki? reStructured text
> > when we can and Structured text when reStructured text is not available
> > as the default?
> >
> > It would be good to standardise it. Perhaps Structured text for the
> > entire website and MoinMoin for the wiki?
>
> I think reStructured test whenever possible and structured text when not
> possible.  It helps to standardise these things and if we only use
> MoinMoin for the docs already written that way we can start developing a
> structure of portable documentation.

We have to remember the doc team is not the only ones going to be adding
to the wiki or the site from now on.  ReST is great but I have found
stuff I cannot do in it yet.  This may be because I have not used it
enough but I do like ReST.  We have to keep moin because it is easy and
other people(non doc team) will want easy, they will not care about
structure or standards.

> > what are your thoughts?
>
> My main thought is the semantics of the text is far more important that
> the style of the text.  We should be thinking in terms of what the text
> means semantically (headings, paragraphs, lists, chapters etc) rather
> than how it looks.
>
> Although moin allows us to do this it is also pretty much limited to the
> wiki.  ReST would be the best option IMHO due to it's portability.

I think ReST for most formal stuff is the best also.

John Hornbeck
http://hornbeck.freeshell.org/blogger