Yesterday community council report

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Wed Oct 27 09:45:17 UTC 2004

Hello,

Here's the docteam-specific extract from the summary of yesterday's Community Council.
The full summary can be found at:
 - http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/cc-summary-20041026.html

The full log is at:
 - http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/cc-meeting_log-20041026.txt

** Documentation Team

The documentation team is off to a good start. Mark Shuttleworth and John
Hornbeck talked briefly about the status. There was some reminders of the
procedure for writing documentation that involved doing work in the wiki and
the moving things over to the website once it was ready.

John Hornbeck gave an update on the status of the documentation team, the
participants so far, and what needed to be done. There was consensus that
having someone designated into a position of keeping momentum going and doing
things like wiki gardening would be a useful thing -- something that Mark had
discussed with Enrico in the past. They also discussed the idea of having a
"core team" instead of a single team leader to help make leadership decisions.

 * How should the small documentation budget be spent?
 * How should appointments to the core team be made?
 * Do we need to appoint a specific team leader? Do we need this in
   addition to the secretary/gardening role discussed above?

Enrico and a few others said that a team leader might not be the best
idea right now. Everyone agreed that a coordinator was all that was
really necessary at the moment.

There was a little bit of less directed talk about whether documents
really need to have owners and are best written in what environment of
ownership.

Mark ended the discussion with a couple decisions, backed by rough
consensus from the group:

 * The initial doc team is hornbeck, sparkes, plovs, enrico, ben, asw
   and sivan.
 * I will ask Enrico to act as a secretary for the next few months while
   the team settles down.

In terms of the list of things that need to be written and worked on,
Mark suggested that this would need to come from the team itself. He
added that he would be willing to help prioritizing and give suggestion
but that the work and the decisions would be part of the teams domain.

Mark added that a major measure of the doc teams success will be how
well it can bring new people to the table.

** Action Items

 * Doc Team (with help from Benjamin Mako Hill if necessary): Put
   together a list of links and resources for folks wanting to be come
   packager.

-- -- --

Two short-term tasks of mine spawned from the meeting: I'm now trying to
figure out what is the current situation wrt licensing of Wiki contents,
and to create a 'documentation' component in bugzilla that we can use to
track requests.  More on this will follow as things evolve.

Ciao,

Enrico

--
GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>