Yesterday community council report

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 10:15:51 UTC 2004

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 11:45:17 +0200, Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here's the docteam-specific extract from the summary of yesterday's Community Council.
> The full summary can be found at:
> - http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/cc-summary-20041026.html
>
> The full log is at:
> - http://people.ubuntulinux.org/~mako/cc-meeting_log-20041026.txt
>
> ** Documentation Team
>
> The documentation team is off to a good start. Mark Shuttleworth and John
> Hornbeck talked briefly about the status. There was some reminders of the
> procedure for writing documentation that involved doing work in the wiki and
> the moving things over to the website once it was ready.

I hope they mean copy, not move otherwise the stuff 'moved' to the
website is not going to progress.

> John Hornbeck gave an update on the status of the documentation team, the
> participants so far, and what needed to be done. There was consensus that
> having someone designated into a position of keeping momentum going and doing
> things like wiki gardening would be a useful thing -- something that Mark had
> discussed with Enrico in the past. They also discussed the idea of having a
> "core team" instead of a single team leader to help make leadership decisions.

> * How should the small documentation budget be spent?

what is the budget - kind of need to know this to work out where it
would be useful.

> * How should appointments to the core team be made?
> * Do we need to appoint a specific team leader? Do we need this in
>   addition to the secretary/gardening role discussed above?
>
> Enrico and a few others said that a team leader might not be the best
> idea right now. Everyone agreed that a coordinator was all that was
> really necessary at the moment.
>
> There was a little bit of less directed talk about whether documents
> really need to have owners and are best written in what environment of
> ownership.

How about Custodians - this means there is someone who can co-ordinate
the documents development.

> Mark ended the discussion with a couple decisions, backed by rough
> consensus from the group:
>
> * The initial doc team is hornbeck, sparkes, plovs, enrico, ben, asw
>   and sivan.
> * I will ask Enrico to act as a secretary for the next few months while
>   the team settles down.

excellent

> In terms of the list of things that need to be written and worked on,
> Mark suggested that this would need to come from the team itself. He
> added that he would be willing to help prioritizing and give suggestion
> but that the work and the decisions would be part of the teams domain.
>
> Mark added that a major measure of the doc teams success will be how
> well it can bring new people to the table.
>
> ** Action Items
>
> * Doc Team (with help from Benjamin Mako Hill if necessary): Put
>   together a list of links and resources for folks wanting to be come
>   packager.
>
> -- -- --
>
> Two short-term tasks of mine spawned from the meeting: I'm now trying to
> figure out what is the current situation wrt licensing of Wiki contents,
> and to create a 'documentation' component in bugzilla that we can use to
> track requests.  More on this will follow as things evolve.

I think creative commons would be good

Ben