Outline for Ubuntu Book

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Tue Nov 23 14:39:53 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 11:28:38AM -0600, John Hornbeck wrote:

> The only bad part about this, is so much could go wrong with setting up
> dialup and dsl.  We have just not figured out how to approch it yet.  It
> is something that will definatly be there though.

Well, if it's hard to document, then it's hard to do.

If it's hard to do, then it's a bug in the software and we report it as
such :)

More seriously: DHCP is auto-detectable, and so is a PPPOE ADSL modem
and probably a serial modem as well.  So, they should work out of the
box, or else we have a point in which the distro could be improved.
Problems arise with USB ADSL modems and winmodems, which can be marked
as not covered and the book can point to specific HOWTOs.

This could also be said: "let's document what works, and leave the rest
to troubleshooting".

It may also be interesting to recover an old idea that went around:

  The installation guide could also include and stress a "get online in
  the community" part, framing "joining the others" as an important part
  of getting the system completely working.  We may even consider
  creating an ubuntu-welcome mailing list, and use that in the examples
  for the documentation.

  (From http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2004-October/000598.html)

GPG key: 1024D/797EBFAB 2000-12-05 Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org>