Documentation Acceptance Process Proposal

Christoph Haas email at christoph-haas.de
Tue Nov 16 15:06:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 07:46:27AM -0600, John Hornbeck wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 15:24 +0200, Sivan Green wrote:
> > The need for setting up some sort of doc team work scheme for
> > accepting new wiki / offline docs has been felt for ages, so now let us
> > start discuss a more formal plan. I had this in mind when starting up
> > with the Doc Team for long ago, and some of it may already be apparent on
> > HTTP://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DocumentationTeam .
>
> I don't think any process should be in place for people posting to the
> wiki.  I think that is trying to place way to much control over
> something that we cannot control.

Yes and no. :) I think Sivan's page was badly needed. At least I started
to loose track of who's doing what. And since the traffic in #ubuntu-doc
has increased dramatically I find it hard to coordinate our work there.
At least in that issues that require coordination.

> The wiki would lose if we started making people let us know when they
> post, and making people submit a approval for a new page.

Right. But I think that was not what Sivan intended. IMHO everybody
should just work freely. Otherwise we would create too much overhead.
But for projects like the current FAQ we should provide some information
on:
- where is the repository located?
- who do I need to talk to to get access?
- how often is it posted where?

> Wiki's are there so people can change and add things as THEY see fit,
> not for us to dictate what should and should not go on, if we do not
> like something as a group, it can be removed.

Definitely. Although we should try to agree on a standard like
how translations of Wiki pages are handled etc.

Cheers
 Christoph
--
~