artwork references (don't worry - no controversy!)

Sivan Green sivan at piware.de
Thu Nov 4 08:28:38 UTC 2004

Hi Aaron!

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 00:45 -0500, volvoguy wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just joined the documentation list and I've realized that I should
> have done so long ago. I've been talking to Lu at Canonical about a
> few pages on the main Ubuntu site and on the wiki site that will give
> some exposure to the people working on Ubuntu artwork. This will also
> be reciprocated - lots of people posting Ubuntu-specific artwork on
> their own websites and more general Linux community websites will give
> Ubuntu a lot of exposure.

And will also make it a whole lot beautiful! ;-)

> - an "Artwork" page on the main site under the "About Ubuntu" heading.
> This will primarily be a few sentences about how important the quality
> art and artists are to the Ubuntu community. Following that will be a
> list of the more "mainstream" Linux art sites - gnome-look.org,
> art.gnome.org, kde-look.org - and we're even represented at
> wincustomize.com if you can believe it! :-) Following those links will
> be a link to a wiki page for more "experimental" artwork - the kind
> that most people are hosting on their own homepages (*shameless plug*
> like the one in my sig).
>
> - the wiki page, perhaps titled something like "creative brainstorming
> sites", will be a simple and easy to edit list of artists hosting
> their own artwork. Because of the community feel that Ubuntu has
> already, I thought a listing of all the artist would be nice on this
> page as well. (they're temporarily on the first Artwork page).
>

> So here's where I'd like some suggestions. Should I start a new page
> on the wiki for the "brainstorming sites" page, or just add it to the
> existing art page in the wiki? Because the one I'm proposing is mostly
> for reference, I tend to think a separate page would be better. If we
> do this, we can probably clean up the existing art page on the wiki -
> I've noticed that all the previously attached files are gone. Would
> that become a good place to put "officially sanctioned" logos,
> palletes, and usage guidelines?

Go ahead , start up a new page with the relevant sub pages - I am a fan
for Divide and Conquer , so the layout you just proposed looks good to
me. And besides, the pages could always modified, polished etc. Just
make sure you leave the current artwork page and its links intact. Just
until other people get to see the new pages you will make, and we will
reach consensus regarding them.

> Thanks everyone. I look forward to helping out! :-)

Can I interest you in some fine documentation works? ;) (I'm starting to
sound like a preacher hehe)

Sivan