Improved quilt patch handling

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Jan 19 00:30:46 UTC 2012

bzr-builddeb 2.8.1 has just landed on Debian Sid and Ubuntu Precise.
This version contains some of my improvements from late last year for
the handling of quilt patches in packaging branches. Most of these
improvements depend on bzr 2.5 beta 5, which is also in Sid/Precise.

The most relevant changes (enabled by default) are:

  * 'bzr merge-package' is now integrated into 'bzr merge' (it's just a
hook that fires on merges involving packages)
  * patches are automatically unapplied in relevant trees before merges
  * before a commit, bzr will warn if you have some applied and some
unapplied quilt patches

Furthermore, you can now specify whether you would like bzr to
automatically apply all patches for stored data and whether you would
like to automatically have them applied in your working tree by setting
'quilt-tree-policy' and 'quilt-commit-policy' to either 'applied' or
'unapplied'.  This means that you can have the patches unapplied in the
repository, but automatically have them applied upon checkout or update.
Setting these configuration options to an empty string causes bzr to not
touch your patches during commits, checkout or update.

We've done some testing of it, as well as running through a package
merge involving patches with Barry, but none of us do package merges
regularly. If you do run into issues or if you think there are ways we
can improve the quilt handling further, please follow up to this email
or file a bug report against the UDD project
(https://launchpad.net/udd/+filebug).

Caveats:

  * If there are patches to unapply for the OTHER tree, bzr will
currently create a separate checkout and unapply the patches there. This
may have performance consequences for big packages. The best way to
prevent this is to set 'quilt-commit-policy = unapplied'.
  * 'bzr merge' will now fail if you are merging in a packaging tree
that is lacking pristine tar metadata; I'm submitting a fix for this,
but it's not in 2.8.1.
  * if you set 'quilt-commit-policy' and 'quilt-tree-policy' but have
them set to a different value, bzr will consider the tree to have changes.

To disable the automatic unapplying of patches and fall back to the
previous behaviour, set the following in your builddeb configuration:

'quilt-smart-merge = False'

Cheers,

Jelmer