Fixing import errors and discouraging pushes

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 3 23:04:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 03, 2012 at 04:07:47PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> I think we should (almost) never allow users to push to ubuntu: or debianlp:
> branches, or at least, highly discourage it.  Just do the upload and let the
> importer create the new revisions and it seems like that avoids a lot of
> headaches and failures.

If we're not going to allow pushing to the branches, then I don't think
they're useful at all.  It's *only* for having rich branch history that I
use these branches, and if they're not going to be usable that way I would
discontinue my use of them altogether, moving the packages I maintain
somewhere else for their primary VCS.

What's needed to actually fix this problem is for the branch importer to
take commit IDs from the branch as authoritative when they've changed from
what the importer itself pushed.  This has been discussed in the past, but
somehow never implemented.  I don't understand the reasons for that.  Is it
because no one who understands the code has time to make the change?  Are
people not convinced that such a change is correct?