UDD importer making a nuisance of itself with v3 source format branches

James Westby james.westby at canonical.com
Fri Apr 13 00:48:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 01:13:22 +0100, Max Bowsher <_ at maxb.eu> wrote:
> I've just had a conversation with cjwatson and slangasek on
> #ubuntu-release about the importer making a nuisance of itself by
> declaring a perfectly reasonable commit to be a collision / difference,
> and replacing it with one of its own.
>
> The key pain point here is the .pc/ directory.
>
> It's practically impossible to maintain a .pc/ directory checked into
> VCS without unnatural jumping through hoops. As a result, packages being
> seriously developed in bzr by humans, rather than being primarily
> imported, tend NOT to have a .pc/ :
>
> <cjwatson> patches applied doesn't have to imply .pc in vcs; it's
> unfortunate that the importer took that particular decision
> <cjwatson> (I've been using patches-applied-in-bzr since well before the
> importer did, *without* .pc)
>
> I think, as a short term fix, we should modify the collision-is-clean
> check to ignore the absence of a .pc directory in packager-committed
> revisions.

That sounds reasonable.

It does mean that there starts to be some differences in how the
branches should be handled, but they exist already depending on whether
the importer or a human was last to push.

I think there's more to a transition that just ignoring .pc, but it
should be considered if that's how humans prefer to deal with the
branches.

Thanks,

James