Summary from UDD meeting 2011-03-23

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Fri Mar 25 04:53:32 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 09:50:26 pm Martin Pool wrote:
> On 25 March 2011 01:44, Francis J. Lacoste
>
> <francis.lacoste at canonical.com> wrote:
> > On March 23, 2011, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> >> * The build-from-branch-into-primary LEP is awaiting assignment to an LP
> >> squad for implementation.  Martin and Francis are hopeful that it will
> >> be scheduled and live by UDS-O.
> >
> > Actually, that doesn't look so rosy anymore. Initial reviews found that
> > finishing subscriptions and derived distros will take longer than
> > initially thought. And we also have push back from some stakeholders on
> > making this item jump the queue.
> >
> > Today, it looks very unlikely that a Launchpad squad could be assigned to
> > this and finish it before UDS-O :-/
>
> Software taking longer than expected!  :)
>
> So it seems like our choices now are: wait until it gets to the front
> of the Launchpad queue, which may be a very long time, or do it in the
> Bazaar team.
>
> Doing it in Bazaar will reduce the rate at which we do general Bazaar
> work, and the rate at which we can fix package-importer failures.  But
> it doesn't look impossibly big, and if we get reasonable help from
> Launchpad developers during development and landing we can probably do
> it.
>
> I'd like to see it happen.  How do UDD community members feel about
> this vs bug fixing and import reliability?

I'm not sure what bugs this would be traded off for, but I think import
reliability is paramount for broader acceptance of UDD.  Unless people are
confident enough the branch will be current not to worry about double
checking, the need to double check things are up to date will be  a barrier to
adoption.

Scott K