Growth of Ubuntu Distributed Development

James Westby james.westby at canonical.com
Mon Jul 26 20:13:42 BST 2010

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:20:03 -0400, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> Specifically for merging, I think an equivalent of grab-merge (I'll go so far
> as to suggest implementing something in grab-merge and then people can grab-
> merge --bzr or something) and an easy way to diff just the non-upstream changes
> are essential to broader adoption.

Let's work out how we can do this, and then we can look at implementing
it.

I would like it to be an operation done entirely within bzr if possible
(there are already ways to do it with source packages).

What we want to do is compare the old packaged with its upstream
version, and then compare that with the changes from the new upstream to
the new packaged source.

I don't think bzr has any special facilities for interdiffs right now?
In that case we could start by generating those two diffs and piping
them to interdiff. Getting the diffs themselves is relatively
straightforward.

What should the command be? Just an option to diff? diff-upstream?

How much would you want to be able to tweak things beyond the default of
showing the differences between the last two versions in debian/changelog?

Thanks,

James