your thoughts wanted on bzr team UDD focus

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Dec 1 08:04:30 GMT 2009

>>>>> "martin" == Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> writes:

    martin> I'd like to get a sanity check from UDD people on
    martin> what the Bazaar team is going to do for our 2.1
    martin> release, which will have a feature freeze in February
    martin> and go into Karmic.

    >> From the previous threads, it seems that the main large things we need
    martin> to do are:

    martin>  * get more code imports working -- investigation of
    martin>    failure causes is continuing
    martin>  * support imports of git submodules or svn externals
    martin>     -- this is not moving yet

Things we can safely add to this list:

* add hooks allowing james_w to plug a customized merge for
  changelog (by the way James, you never recover from your failed
  demo in the Grand Ball Room, so I've yet to see that script you
  mentioned ;-)
* import all branches defined in a git repo instead of only HEAD

The later may not be the bzr team direct responsibility, but all
parties involved in the discussion at UDS (Keybuk, jelmer, jml,
kiko ?) agreed about its importance

A brief explanation:

git users always exchange repos, never branches, because they
consider the repo as the container and provide references inside
that container.

Importing only the HEAD branch when importing a git repo is
therefore almost useless for people that want to track upstream
because HEAD is rarely relevant for them: any bugfix or release
*is* in the repo, but not in HEAD ancestry.

     Vincent