your thoughts wanted on bzr team UDD focus

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Dec 1 01:39:17 GMT 2009

Hi Martin,

On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 12:19 +1100, Martin Pool wrote:
> I'd like to get a sanity check from UDD people on what the Bazaar team
> is going to do for our 2.1 release, which will have a feature freeze
> in February and go into Karmic.
>
> From the previous threads, it seems that the main large things we need
> to do are:
>
>  * get more code imports working -- investigation of failure causes is
> continuing
>  * support imports of git submodules or svn externals -- this is not moving yet
As for bzr-git/bzr-svn support for git submodules / svn externals:

fwiw git submodules can (as of UDS when I discussed this with Dustin and
Vincent) now be imported with newer versions of bzr-git, and are
converted to by-reference nested trees. This will of course only work if
the target repository supports storing nested trees (e.g. the
experimental development-subtree format).

This should at least allow imports of repositories with nested trees to
work. Of course - since bzr only stores nested trees at the moment and
doesn't have working tree support for them - this doesn't really allow
submodules to be used yet as they were intended. Launchpad will also
need some fixes to be able to import repositories with submodules, as
its current default target format (2a) doesn't support subtrees.

svn externals are ignored at the moment, and we will need a bzr-svn
mapping bump (generating different revision ids) to start supporting
them. Some initial work on this is available here:
http://people.samba.org/bzr/jelmer/bzr-svn/nestedtrees/

Cheers,

Jelmer