EasyLDAPServerFeisty?

Jean-Michel Dault jmdault at revolutionlinux.com
Wed Jun 27 18:35:55 BST 2007

Le mercredi 27 juin 2007 à 18:59 +0200, Guido Serra a écrit :
> > It "can be" is what I said. If a user doesn't have the right
> > docs/understanding/gui etc. it is hard.
> > I want to make sure that the default OpenLDAP setup is correct etc.
> uhmm... who is working on this?
> ping -b MAILINGLIST

I subscribed so I could help a bit, but unfortunately I didn't have much
time to devote.

And when I saw "Fedora Directory Server", I kinda got turned off...
Personally, I don't see what the fuss is all about. Big, bloated Java
interface, 3 times less performance than OpenLDAP, no out-of-the-box
support for such basic things as Samba accounts or even uid
auto-increment.

On the other hand, I have experimented a bit with Gosa2, and it looks
like a nice, extendable front-end to OpenLDAP, with possibility for
pre/post creation scripts, group templates, etc.

Apart from that, I have made some major Linux deployments with LDAP: on
average 30,000 users, with low-level services (NFS, Samba, Cups),
integration with existing servers (Apache/PHP, CMS systems, proxy
servers) and X-terminal clusters. I worked extensively on different LDAP
schemas to have a complete setup.

Typically, all these systems were installed on Mandriva (I'm an
ex-Mandrake employee), but now I have converted to Ubuntu and I'm
looking for ways to contribute to the project. However, the mailing list
is pretty dead, as well as the wiki...

--
Jean-Michel Dault <jmdault at revolutionlinux.com>
Révolution Linux inc.