dpkg 1.22.6ubuntu11 enables ELF packaging metadata

Julian Andres Klode julian.klode at canonical.com
Mon Jun 17 10:56:12 UTC 2024

On Mon, Jun 17, 2024 at 11:20:48AM GMT, Robie Basak wrote:
> Thank you for working on this! It looks like it will be useful to have
> that metadata there.
>
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2024 at 12:46:15AM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> >     Packaging Metadata: {"type":"deb","os":"ubuntu","osVersion":"24.10","name":"chaos-marmosets","version":"0.2.0-1","architecture":"amd64"}
>
> Technically, we don't know it's going to be called 24.10 yet. For
> example, 6.04 became 6.06. For this reason, I believe nothing in our
> infrastructure makes this assumption prior to release and we shouldn't
> start now. I suggest not locking things down unnecessarily, and
> therefore "oracular" would be more suitable.

It is communicated directly at archive opening, when we upload the
base-files containing the os-release saying that:

$ grep 24.10 /etc/os-release
VERSION_ID="24.10"
VERSION="24.10 (Oracular Oriole)"

I believe it's fair to say at this point that even if we did
move a release, we'd not change the version anymore because
there will have been extensive communication over a multitude
of channels already using the version; third-party vendors
will have done testing against that specific version
string, etc.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en