dpkg 1.22.6ubuntu11 enables ELF packaging metadata

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 17 10:20:48 UTC 2024

Thank you for working on this! It looks like it will be useful to have
that metadata there.

On Sat, Jun 15, 2024 at 12:46:15AM +0200, Benjamin Drung wrote:
>     Packaging Metadata: {"type":"deb","os":"ubuntu","osVersion":"24.10","name":"chaos-marmosets","version":"0.2.0-1","architecture":"amd64"}

Technically, we don't know it's going to be called 24.10 yet. For
example, 6.04 became 6.06. For this reason, I believe nothing in our
infrastructure makes this assumption prior to release and we shouldn't
start now. I suggest not locking things down unnecessarily, and
therefore "oracular" would be more suitable.

One might say that we've been following the pattern consistently for
long enough now that this is highly unlikely, which is true, but equally
there's no reason to lock it down here just for this IMHO. If in the
future we change the schedule, we won't have to rebuild things or leave
an inconsistency then. I also agree that user-facing stuff should avoid
using codenames that are hard to understand, but I don't think this is
one of those cases.

Robie