Retention period for autopkgtest test logs

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Thu Sep 28 01:38:06 UTC 2023

On Tue, Sep 26, 2023 at 04:53:05PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 03:22:59PM -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > Moreover, there are other use cases beyond test failure fixing.
> > Consider MREs and SRUs, where you prepare a package in a PPA, and run
> > autopkgtest as part of the criteria for having the package be accepted.
>
> For the record, I don't believe the SRU team has ever asked for pre-upload
> autopkgtests as a condition of an MRE.

That's not correct, there's been at least one recent MRE I'm aware of
that did this:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openldap/+bug/2027079

It'd be reasonable to expect more along these lines.  But MREs are just
one of several use cases I outlined.  PPA+autopkgtest is a handy
service and flexible for a number of different workflows.

> Given the frequency with which autopkgtest infrastructure gets overloaded, I
> generally take the view that ppa autopkgtest runs should be kept to a
> minimum because the results don't transfer to the main archive and all have
> to be run again, and it's the second run that actually matters for
> proposed-migration.

Well, that's moving the goalposts on this argument - the original
concern was regarding test log retention for already-run PPA tests, not
whether autopkgtesting against PPAs is useful at all or just contributes
to overloading the infrastructure.  That's an entirely different
question, but I'd push back on that too.

Tests run against PPAs are processed at a lower default priority than
the primary archive.  So, assuming you're queuing a test run that is
destined to fail, doing so in a PPA actually *helps* the infrastructure
load balance when is in an overloaded state.  Not to mention, that
uploading a broken test for one package risks causing any of its
dependencies to also run into trouble, which can cause a cascade of
people retriggering things to try to figure out what introduced the
problem.

Ultimately, our goal here is to ensure the highest quality of Ubuntu
possible.  Obviously none of us wish to logjam Britney by pushing it
beyond its capabilities.  But if that is indeed a risk, wouldn't it be
better to strengthen Britney rather than weaken our testing processes?

Anyway, this is way more verbose than I intended.  I of course
understand there's trade-offs and that tech can have weird and
unexpected limitations.  My original question was just why 8 weeks was
felt preferrable to a larger number.  If there's a strong reason for
that, we'll just have to live with it, but to me 26 weeks would seem
like it'd be long enough to avoid most of the (admittedly outlier)
issues I could imagine.

Bryce