git-ubuntu MP workflows in Launchpad

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 30 17:03:56 UTC 2023

On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 10:55:21PM +0100, Robie Basak wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 29, 2023 at 02:36:06PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > I think the least-effort approach is for the handling of MPs for sponsorship
> > to match the handling of bugs: ~ubuntu-sponsors is unsubscribed, and it's
> > the responsibility of the submitter to re-subscribe them (and patch pilots
> > have an obligation to make this clear with a comment).

> It's worth noting that the sponsorship queue has a "person who last
> commented" column that displays in bold if that person can upload the
> package. For a first pass through the queue, one could ignore any row
> where that column is bold. This is imperfectly equivalent to ignoring
> MPs that are waiting on the contributor to take some action.

That seems like it should work.

It also looks like there are some bugs here, as
http://reqorts.qa.ubuntu.com/reports/sponsoring/general.html currently
displays juliank's name in italics instead of bold for
lp:~enr0n/ubuntu/+source/triton:fix-lp2025279 which indicates "Ubuntu
Developer, who can't upload the package in question" which of course is
false?

> Could it be used to address the fear of losing MPs, as well as the
> desire not to waste every pilot's time on following up on MPs that are
> actually waiting on the contributor? If it's not robust enough, what
> could we do to help with that?

The one case where this is currently suboptimal is if the last comment on
the MP is from an Ubuntu dev saying it needs changes, but the submitter has
pushed new changes addressing that feedback without leaving a further
comment on the MP.  An MP in such a state is ready for sponsorship team
action, but would have the commenter's name in bold and per the above would
be deprioritized.  This could be addressed if the "last comment" field also
checked whether there were commits newer than the last comment.  But I think
this is enough to be getting on with, even without that tweak.

Thanks,
Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/