debcheckout -a behavior in Ubuntu?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 23 14:04:24 UTC 2023

Hey Steve,

Le 08/06/2023 à 22:10, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> Now the reason I think this needs discussion before I just run off and
> implement it is that I know some teams use ubuntu branches on
> salsa.debian.org today for their work.  But those repositories would be
> unsuitable for the above workflow, because the ubuntu branch on salsa
> doesn't know about Launchpad ~ubuntu-dev ACLs.

The issue isn't specific to salsa and ~ubuntu-dev though, we have
packages maintained on launchpad but owned by teams which don't include
~ubuntu-dev (I've often hit that problem trying to fix installer bugs)
or in github, and in reverse we have Ubuntu uploaders who do have access
to the salsa branches.

The question is rather 'has the person doing the checkout write access
to the target repository'

> Do folks who use non-Launchpad repositories as the primary vehicle for their
> packaging work mind if 'debcheckout -a' stops pointing at those
> repositories?

I've an issue with that yes. For me as a package maintainer the ideal
outcome for the cases where the uploader doesn't have write access to
the Vcs would be to receive a merge request targeting the Vcs where the
package is maintained. That's less work for the contributor (it gives
them a chance to base the changes on the current state of the package
vcs which might be different from the archive one, it might even
potentially already include a fix for their problem) and less work for
the maintainer (no need to rebase, possibility to merge from the webUI
directly, ...).

Ideally we would guide them in doing the right thing (get an account if
needed/push to personal space/mp).

For practical reasons it might be that the only reasonable action we can
do in a consistant way from the debcheckout is to clone the git-ubuntu
vcs but if go that way I would like for the tools to start by displaying
a warning that the package is as actually maintained at
<packagaging_vcs> and that it is recommended/suggested to try to submit
the fix there even if the tool is about to give a checkout from an
import instead.

Cheers,
Sébastien