How to ask for introducing a new package into main?

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.ledkov at canonical.com
Tue Jan 24 14:02:56 UTC 2023

On Thu, 19 Jan 2023 at 17:05, <c.buhtz at posteo.jp> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I checked the wiki and docu but couldn't find that process described
> somewhere.
>
> Is there a ticket system where I can open a wishlist-bug or something
> else to ask for introducing a new package into the "main" repository?
>
> "universe", launchpad or privat ppa are not an option because the
> package is still there.

I've read the whole thread, and I just want to reiterate - all default
ubuntu installations enable main, restricted, universe and multiverse
components of an Ubuntu Series, including release, security and
updates pockets (e.g. jammy jammy-security jammy-updates). All of
these are considered to be part of a given Ubuntu distribution
release. A package is available to be installed by default, if it
exists in any of those places. The distinction between the various
locations are in the grand scheme of things fairly minor, and are
policy driven.

There can be specific cases and instances where things are missplaced,
or have been removed and reintroduced. If you have specific packages
and examples of things unavailable, please point them out for further
investigation. Removal and reintroduction often happens when a package
fails to be compatible with a given Ubuntu release, in the specified
timeframe due to timed releases. But these are exceptions rather than
the norm.
--
okurrr,

Dimitri