Flutter Installer and CUPS Frustrations

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 11 04:03:20 UTC 2023

On Thu, Aug 10, 2023 at 06:58:54PM -0700, eeickmeyer at ubuntu.com wrote:

> Furthermore, the switch to the CUPS snap is also affecting the flavors,
> as this was done without any notification via proper channels (any
> channel, really) before it was implemented. I understand there was a
> discourse post, but I could not find any date as to when the
> implementation would occur, so imagine my surprise when all the sudden
> every single CUPS package was being removed.

> Right now, there's no transition package, so daily .iso images are
> simply being built without CUPS or any printing system unless flavors
> add the following line to their seeds, and this is only an educated
> guess on my part (!!!), so I could be very wrong:

>  * snap:cups

I can't speak to the lack of coordination, but I can say that flavors are
NOT meant to be making their own seed changes for this.  The transition was
done in the desktop-common seed and, in fact, was causing cross-flavor build
failures when the seed change originally went through before all of the
snaps were available on the required channels.

$ grep snap:cups */daily-live/current/*.manifest
kubuntu/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups      stable/ubuntu-23.10     980
lubuntu/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups      stable/ubuntu-23.10     980
ubuntu-budgie/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups       stable/ubuntu-23.10      980
ubuntu-unity/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups stable/ubuntu-23.10     980
ubuntu/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups       stable/ubuntu-23.10     980
ubuntu/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-arm64.manifest:snap:cups       stable/ubuntu-23.10     981
ubuntucinnamon/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups      stable/ubuntu-23.10      980
ubuntukylin/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups  stable/ubuntu-23.10     980
xubuntu/daily-live/current/mantic-desktop-amd64.manifest:snap:cups      stable/ubuntu-23.10     980
$

Evidently there is something different in the way desktop-common is being
handled for Edubuntu and Ubuntu Studio, that it's not being seeded there.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/