+1 maintenance report

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 31 23:06:34 UTC 2022

On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 05:48:25PM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 4:02 PM Steve Langasek
> <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 03:36:32PM +1200, Michael Hudson-Doyle wrote:
> > > There is some stuff on NBS due to a ldc transition: r-to-d,
> > > appstream-generator, tilix, etc. AFAICT all of these packages have been
> > > removed from Debian testing and I guess we should follow along.

> > Unfortunately, Ubuntu Budgie has tilix seeded so a removal is not
> > straightforward.  Do you want to check with the Budgie developers about
> > unseeding this?

> ldc being broken is common and I don't think we've done a full removal
> from Ubuntu before for it. Although one thing that is different is
> that we allow libraries to smoothly migrate out of proposed in Ubuntu
> now.

It is my understanding that ldc is not broken but that gir-to-d is not
compatible with the current version.  There are 6 source packages in the
archive that have successfully rebuilt against the new version of
libphobos2-ldc-shared, it's only gir-to-d and it's reverse-dependencies that
are broken.

And Debian has removed all of these from testing, which implies they agree
with this analysis.

> Could we instead revert to an older ldc?

We could, but what is going to get gir-to-d fixed to allow the transition to
proceed later?

> appstream-generator also seems important since we use it to build
> https://appstream.ubuntu.com/ although I guess it doesn't have to be
> packaged in the latest Ubuntu for that service.

It's a temporary removal, and it would have to remain unfixed for 2 LTS
cycles to impact our ability to run appstream.u.c from debs.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/