VT console font

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Mon Jul 18 14:16:24 UTC 2022

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 2:57 PM Heinrich Schuchardt
<heinrich.schuchardt at canonical.com> wrote:

> Thanks Daniel for bringing up this topic.
>
> We should choose a font that is easily legible on a 28" 4K monitor.

Honestly this feels like one of those "you help one and at the same
time make it worse for others" cases.
Could we instead of changing the default make this dynamic based on
the HW properties detected on install or any such?

IIRC the Desktop team has some data [1] on HW specs present on install
which could help to make such a decision.

[1]: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/02/ubuntu-data-collection-opt-out

> Best regards
>
> Heinrich
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 2:36 PM Daniel van Vugt <daniel.van.vugt at canonical.com> wrote:
>>
>> I find myself increasing the VT console font size on practically all modern
>> machines:
>>
>>    sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
>>
>> Is it perhaps time that Kinetic defaulted to a larger console font?
>>
>> - Daniel
>>
>> --

Christian Ehrhardt
Senior Staff Engineer, Ubuntu Server