Proposal: revert recent debianutils changes for Jammy

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 24 14:53:02 UTC 2022

On 2022-01-24 15:27, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Longer term it would be easier if we do a merge from debian now to
> preserve just the `export NO_PKG_MANGLE=1` delta (if that is still
> required),

Setting that variable was my idea. The reason is that without it, the
translation files are stripped at build time and imported to Launchpad.
But we have no use for those particular translations; they are for man
pages only, and the language packs don't deal with man pages.
(Previously we have tricked the translators to spend time with those
strings unnecessarily.)

If that's the only remaining Debian/Ubuntu delta, I think we should try
to have Debian set that variable. It makes no difference to Debian, but
is useful for us. Then we can sync again.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj