Enablement of systemd-repart in Jammy LTS (post-release)

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 25 18:09:41 UTC 2022

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 06:13:12PM +0200, Lukas Märdian wrote:

> Actually, there is a 4th option:

> 4/ Static PPA build:
> We could fork Jammy's src:systemd package and adopt it to ONLY build a "systemd-repart" binary package, possibly as a static build. This should conflict with systemd >= 251 to notify users on upgrades about the situation. Such PPA could be maintained by the ubuntu-foundations team and would not require duplicated maintenance work. It should be relatively easy to integrate this into mkosi's "install_debian_or_ubuntu()" method [2], where apt repositories are set-up and packages installed, anyways.
> Would this be a viable option as well? It would have the lowest impact of all.

Provided that the use of a ppa would work for upstream's CI requirements, I
think this is the lowest-cost option and would prefer we do this.

However, if that's not an option, I would accept the addition of a
systemd-repart binary package in jammy as an SRU.

Ubuntu Developer                                   https://www.debian.org/