git-ubuntu rich history beta

Christian Ehrhardt christian.ehrhardt at canonical.com
Wed Nov 3 16:02:54 UTC 2021

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 6:52 PM Robie Basak <robie.basak at ubuntu.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Eventually I expect a high level CLI such as `git ubuntu submit` to do
> all the work for you, but I want to get the low level stuff right first.

Thanks for bringing this up, I personally really like the current
prepare-upload as it neatly integrates with my common habits.
But for wider acceptance such a higher level wrapper will feel more natural.

> # Details of what the subcommands do
>
> There are two subcommands being added here: `git ubuntu prepare-upload
> args` and `git ubuntu prepare-upload mangle`. Both will push the current
> branch to a personal remote (defaulting to your personal Launchpad
> namespace that `git ubuntu clone` sets up named after your Launchpad
> username; details overridable with `--remote` and `--branch`). After
> that, `args` will output the required additional changes file headers in
> a form suitable for `dpkg-buildpackage`. `mangle` will instead replace
> an existing changes file to add the headers, stripping the signature if
> it was signed (as the alteration requires re-signing).
>
> # Details of the changes file headers
>
>  * Vcs-Git: points to the git repository where the rich history can be
>    found.
>
>  * Vcs-Git-Ref: the ref which when fetched contains the rich history.
>
>  * Vcs-Git-Commit: the commit hash of your rich history. This must match
>    your upload.

I did a few uploads with that, so far they all got detected well.
But I only used args, not mangle.

Out of that I have filed a few bugs, they will improve things but are
no total show stoppers
I'd like to have these being looked at:
- fails more visible https://bugs.launchpad.net/usd-importer/+bug/1942865
- help users more if args/mangle was forgotten
https://bugs.launchpad.net/usd-importer/+bug/1947138
- have less problems if non https:~/git....
https://bugs.launchpad.net/usd-importer/+bug/1942985

> When git-ubuntu imports your upload, it will look in the location
<snip>