PHP 8.0 transition plan

Bryce Harrington bryce.harrington at canonical.com
Thu May 20 23:08:22 UTC 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:15:41PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hey Bryce,
>
> I noticed from the proposed-migrations team report that the libsoup2.4
> tests were failing and that it needed updated depends. I tried to
> rebuild it but it Build-Depends on php-xmlrpc which is still available
> but depends on php8.0-xmlrpc which isn't existing
>
> Checking salsa it seems the binary has been removed from php8.0, the
> commit doesn't include any explanation of why though so I'm unsure if
> that's a bug or wanted?
> https://salsa.debian.org/php-team/php/-/commit/97dee5b
>
> Any recommendatiob on what should I do for libsoup there?

Yeah, looks like that stems from this earlier commit in that tree:

  https://salsa.debian.org/php-team/php-defaults/-/commit/fa0bf419fc4ea521d712e4a9449abaaf910367d8

Debian appears to also register the missing dependency for php-xmlrpc
2:8.0+80~exp1 to non-existing php8.0-xmlrpc:

  https://packages.debian.org/experimental/php-xmlrpc

>From upstream there is mention of this change:

  https://php.watch/versions/8.0/xmlrpc

At this point my guess is that upstream may want to consider migrating
to one of the suggested alternative libraries.  None of them appear
packaged for ubuntu, and I'm not spotting in debian an identified
transition path.

libsoup appears to be the only rdepends of this in our archive.  I
spotted this upstream commit that seems to suggest upstream already is
moving away from it for libsoup 3.x?

  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/libsoup/-/commit/4217855114d1357eb16c5cf663b2fa09a6e6bd3c

Looks like libsoup3 is beta (i.e. 2.99.5 released a couple weeks ago) so
would it be worth looking at merging that from upstream?  If not,
perhaps you could consider backporting the above commit to remove the
xmlrpc support?

HTH,
Bryce