+1 maintenance report

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Mon May 17 04:12:07 UTC 2021

On Sat, 8 May 2021 at 21:30, Dan Bungert <daniel.bungert at canonical.com>
wrote:

> +1 Maintenance Report
> Dan Bungert, Week of May-03-2021
>
> ### xfig ###
>
> Local tests fine, there is a valgrind complaint which I chased for a
> while before concluding that the ghostscript library that xfig is using
> has some valgrind magic in there.  My hunch is that the valgrind stuff
> is a false positive and just not interacting well with the valgrind
> settings on ghostscript / this xfig test.  It bugs me that this seems to
> test fine for Debian but not for Ubuntu but I currently lack a better
> answer.
>
> I was able to verify at least that this doesn't seem to be something
> that could be remediated by big_packages:
> autopkgtest -- qemu --ram-size=600 --cpus=1
> passed for me.

So on digging into this it turns out the testsuite output is copied into
the autopkgtest artifacts folder, so if you click the "artifacts" link on a
failing run in https://autopkgtest.ubuntu.com/packages/x/xfig/impish/amd64
you do get a bit more detail as to what is going on, and the failure turns
out to be because there is a message on stderr ("Error: XtCreatePopupShell
requires non-NULL parent") that causes the test to fail. This test is new
in the new version of xfig and so possibly would have failed in all
versions of Ubuntu, so in some sense waving it through would be justified
but I also thing it's easy to patch the test to not care about stderr, so
I'm going to try and do that (although. Did you know autoconf included a
test harness? It does --
https://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.61/html_node/Writing-testsuite_002eat.html
-- and I'm not sure I'm any happier for knowing this).

Cheers,
mwh