status of ccache and libhiredis in main

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Wed Dec 1 03:22:07 UTC 2021

Hi all,

A while ago I synced ccache from Debian and then discovered:

(a) ccache is in main
(b) the new binary packages depend on libhiredis, which is not

This is because the new upstream version now has a redis storage backend.

It turns out that ccache has been in main essentially forever, since 2004
and there is no formal record of the motivations for including it in main.
However it was and is a useful tool for developers.

There are three broad ways forward here:

(1) MIR libhiredis (it's a pretty small package that itself has no
non-trivial dependencies, it doesn't actually depend on redis so that can
stay in universe, but otoh it is a library that does network access in C
that has had a couple of CVEs already)
(2) Build ccache without support for the redis storage backend.
(3) Drop ccache from main.

(2) would involve the least paperwork but I don't know if it's the option
that best serves our users. (3) is also simple to achieve.

What do you think?

Cheers,
mwh