Results of archive rebuild against OpenSSL3

Dan Streetman ddstreet at canonical.com
Thu Aug 19 19:53:38 UTC 2021

On Tue, Aug 10, 2021 at 4:09 AM Simon Chopin <simon.chopin at canonical.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As some of you may be aware, the OpenSSL project is working towards a
> major OpenSSL 3.0 version, which will not be ABI compatible with
> the current 1.1 branch[0]. They have recently released a first Release
> Candidate version[1], and in order to prepare for a stable release, I've
> uploaded a version of this release candidate on a PPA, based on the
> Debian Experimental version[2].
>
> I have also uploaded to this PPA all packages currently in impish that
> have a direct reverse-dependency on libssl-dev, to assess the amount of
> breakage such a transition would bring. You'll find the result at [3],
> but please bear in mind that it is a really rough experiment, so it's
> likely that I've missed some dependencies, or that some build failures
> aren't related to OpenSSL at all.
>
> Note that there aren't any concrete plans for OpenSSL3 in Ubuntu *yet*,
> so don't panic. This work has been done in order to assess the amount of
> work involved in such migration.

So, is this planned for the 22.04 release?

Back in 18.04, there was a similar abi-breaking change between 1.0 and
1.1, and the resulting conflict between the libssl-dev and
libssl1.0-dev packages was quite painful to many people and never
actually resolved:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssl1.0/+bug/1794589

I would hate to see that happen again in 22.04.