+1 maintenance report

Michael Hudson-Doyle michael.hudson at canonical.com
Tue Aug 18 08:38:25 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I started my shift with the welcome news that britney "Will attempt
migration" of icu and the ~million associated packages in proposed but
after a little while it became clear that it was not in fact migrating
these packages.

I wondered if britney was crashing so looked at the logs -- it wasn't, but
I did find the reason (which was also in update_output.txt): migrating
json-c (which is entangled in the icu transition) makes the version of
gce-compute-image-packages in release uninstallable, and the version in
proposed cannot migrate because it depends on google-guest-agent which is
not in main (it does not yet have an MIR).

Fixing this required removing not only gce-compute-image-packages from
proposed but also google-compute-engine-oslogin, because the version of
gce-compute-image-packages in release builds packages that are built by the
version of google-compute-engine-oslogin in proposed (I wonder if this
added confusion is why excuses.html is opaque about this). Anyway, I got
Chris Halse Rogers to remove those and then uploaded a no change rebuild of
the version of gce-compute-image-packages from release, crossed my fingers
and waited.

Then britney started crashing. I filed a MR upstream to at least try to
understand why a bit better:
https://salsa.debian.org/release-team/britney2/-/merge_requests/50

Then icu and a bunch of other packages migrated, but surprisingly not
json-c. I think this was prevented by another package (kamailio)
disappearing from the archive as it was being published from proposed into
updates, and it migrated on the next run. \o/ I then
put gce-compute-image-packages and google-compute-engine-oslogin back.

While all the above was going on, I looked into the emcee failure on
ppc64el a bit and filed a bug upstream:
https://github.com/dfm/emcee/issues/353

Same routine for dired-du/armhf:
https://github.com/calancha/dired-du/issues/4

debian-cloud-images isn't migrating because src:fai needs a merge. It's not
completely trivial so I left it for now.

android-platform-art ftbfs on arm64, this is part of AOSP (already reported
in Debian as https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=963058).
There are maybe relevant commits upstream but they refer to private bugs in
the AOSP bug tracker so ehhhh.

I retried the hugo/armhf test. It migrated.

sphinx was held up by 4 all-platforms "regressions", none of which were
caused by sphinx.
astropy: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=966713. I
uploaded a fix for this which didn't work and had another go. will send it
to debian if it works.
beets is already fixed in proposed, so I just need to do some retriggering
same story for python-gmpy2
And the python-pbr tests got bad-tested, so sphinx migrated.

And then my second day of +1 mostly got wiped out by having to look after a
sick child. I worked on some ftbfs stuff, mostly by filing removal bugs.

Cheers,
mwh