Defaulting to verify the image integrity before installing on desktop?

Mark Rogers mark at more-solutions.co.uk
Tue Nov 26 14:59:23 UTC 2019

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 at 16:53, Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> What do others think? Should we default to check the media before booting
> the ISO? (And if so do we need to ensure the menu still provide a way to
> skip the testing (we should at least for automaticall installation)?)

On machines with adequate RAM (which is likely most physical machines now?)
can the install image be loaded into RAM and verified, with the subsequent
install taking place from the RAM copy? Or otherwise cached so that the
bulk of the time spent checking the image is saved during the install?

Can any of this be done in a background task while install decisions
are made?

Otherwise, changing the default to the safest option makes sense to me, but
keeping the faster/riskier version as an option is essential. By all means
add a clear disclaimer to the second option too.

But separately: "SQUASHFS error: zlib decompression failed, data probably
corrupt" is the kind of error that needs visibility outside a log file,
whether or not the install image is checked first. If that's too difficult
to fix then image checking is a decent workaround, but in my view it is
really only a workaround.