Should Ubuntu systemd journal logs be persistent by default?

Mark Stosberg mark at rideamigos.com
Mon Nov 13 16:12:43 UTC 2017

> On Tue, Nov 07, 2017 at 08:11:27PM +0000, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> > Some time around the 15.04 release, a policy change was made to quit
> > making some logging persistent by default.
>
> To help me understand the problem, exactly what logging was persistent
> previously, and isn't persistent now? Can you please give us an example?

Robie,

As I understand, Upstart's logging about boot and managed services was
persistent by default.  From http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/ I find
this:

*"For a standard Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) system, the output will be sent to
file /var/log/daemon.log, whilst on newer Ubuntu systems such as Ubuntu
Natty (11.04), the output will be directed to file /var/log/syslog."*

In turn, I understand that "syslog" logging has been persistent-by-default
per years.

It seems that with the switch to systemd as the init system, the logging
that originates from the init system became not-persistent by default.

The linked issue had examples of users who expected to find details about
service logging or boot logging from a previous boot which was not found,
when it would have existed under Upstart.

     Mark