irqbalance and at daemons by default?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 27 16:05:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 03:38:30PM +0800, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
> On 27 March 2013 15:06, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Steve Langasek [2013-03-26 12:07 -0700]:
> >> So I would say that the time has probably come for us to remove atd from the
> >> default Ubuntu system.  Other opinions?

> > Admittedly, while I actually know about at, in the four times I have
> > needed functionality like that I just did "sleep 1800; poweroff" or
> > something similar. For other reminders most people I know use
> > calendars or tea timers these days, so I agree that the user base on a
> > desktop is negligible. I see some more use cases on a server, and my
> > gut feeling is to keep it on those.

> There are more use cases on your server, but the same applies to eg
> 'traceroute'. It's handy to have (along with 30 or so other packages),
> but they are so dependent on the server and who's running it.

Except that we in fact include a traceroute (from iputils-tracepath) in the
standard system.  (For good reason: debugging a network problem requires
that you have debugging tools already installed, so you're not dependent on
installing them from the network.)

> Better to not second guess that with daemons at least. Add my +1 for
> removing on server and +1 for removing on desktop.

Based on this thread and some additional polling of people via IRC, I think
there's a consensus that we don't need 'at' in the standard seed anymore.
There's not a clear consensus that it should be removed from the server
seed, however.  So I've moved it for now from the standard seed to the
server-ship seed, and will upload ubuntu-meta shortly for this change.

Thanks,