irqbalance and at daemons by default?

Daniel J Blueman daniel at quora.org
Wed Mar 27 07:38:30 UTC 2013

On 27 March 2013 15:06, Martin Pitt <martin.pitt at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Steve Langasek [2013-03-26 12:07 -0700]:
>> So I would say that the time has probably come for us to remove atd from the
>> default Ubuntu system.  Other opinions?
>
> Admittedly, while I actually know about at, in the four times I have
> needed functionality like that I just did "sleep 1800; poweroff" or
> something similar. For other reminders most people I know use
> calendars or tea timers these days, so I agree that the user base on a
> desktop is negligible. I see some more use cases on a server, and my
> gut feeling is to keep it on those.

There are more use cases on your server, but the same applies to eg
'traceroute'. It's handy to have (along with 30 or so other packages),
but they are so dependent on the server and who's running it.

Better to not second guess that with daemons at least. Add my +1 for
removing on server and +1 for removing on desktop.
--
Daniel J Blueman