We need your help for GSoC 2013

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 24 16:21:23 UTC 2013

We're going to be applying for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) this year. I'm
sure many of you know the drill at this stage: it's an opportunity to grow
Ubuntu's developer community, share knowledge with talented university
students, make friends and get some really cool work done. We have a wiki
page all about GSoC 2013 that explains the hows and whys in detail:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2013

Since the last GSoC we participated in, Ubuntu has really found its own
with several projects led by Canonical and by members of the community. As
I see it, Unity, Juju, Ubuntu Touch and Mir are interesting projects that
students would enjoy contributing to, and they are all projects that
students would be best equipped to work on with Ubuntu as the mentoring
organization. And, of course, there are many more where those came from! I
already mentioned that there are many lovely benefits for the students and
for Ubuntu, and I'll also point out that this is a way to really expand on
the community-friendly nature of those projects. I think it would be
amazing if we could make that happen.

So, this is where you come in! Do you have an idea for a project that we
could empower a student to work on over the summer? Are you interested in
mentoring one of those talented and motivated students? Either way, you're
welcome to add what you see fit to our list of ideas and mentors:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2013/Ideas.

Thank you,
Dylan McCall