Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Wed Mar 6 00:21:58 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 02:10:55AM -0800, Scott Ritchie wrote:
> >apt should never do that, and that would be a major bug that we should fix.
> >Do you have a bug reference for this behavior in apt (preferably with a
> >reproducer case)?

> This reminded me of this older bug from Karmic-Lucid era, which I'm
> not sure ever got fixed since we just worked around it in
> update-manager:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/571999

Ok.  Does that mean there's no bug filed for the case of apt looking at
recommends on the wrong version of the package?

> In this case apt is looking at a stale cache package rather than the
> to-be-installed package.

That's not an accurate characterization of what's happening here.  The error
message shown in the log is from dpkg, not from apt:

 Selecting previously deselected package wine1.2.
 dpkg: regarding .../wine1.2_1.1.42-0ubuntu4_amd64.deb containing wine1.2:
  wine1.2 conflicts with wine (<< 1.2)
   wine (version 1.1.42-0ubuntu4) is present and unpacked but not configured.

So in fact, it's dpkg that's detecting phantom conflicts with
previously-installed versions of packages that have since been removed.
I've updated the bug report accordingly.

I suspect that bug has since been fixed, as I haven't heard anything about
this kind of failure recently.