taking Unity to the next level

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Mar 4 22:31:08 UTC 2013

On Monday, March 04, 2013 01:56:43 PM Jono Bacon wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com>
wrote:
> > As long as Canonical doesn't follow their usual practice of patching stuff
> > without upstreaming, then that might be the case.  An incompatible Qt5 is
> > just about the worst case scenario.
>
> This seems like a good chance for us to work more closely with the
> Kubuntu community, not less, to help us achieve our goals with the SDK
> but in a way that doesn't result in unnecessary divergences.  Would
> you be interested in helping to work with us on this?
>
> It just seems to me Ubuntu and Kubuntu is more closely aligned than
> ever - sure there are differences, but there is a lot of commonality
> on the foundation, and the convergence story in Ubuntu will result in
> useful foundational work that will benefit KDE across these different
> devices too (e.g. Plasma Active).

We've long had a policy of not incorporating distro design changes until there
was agreement from upstream to support them.  Sometimes, due to release
schedules, it may take awhile, so we carry the patches for some time, but the
key is to have a dialog with the relevant upstream and get their concurrence
BEFORE they go into the Ubuntu repositories.  As an example, the touch work
that Canonical has done is in Qt, as is the needed support for global menus.

Since at least Karmic this has periodically been a source of tension.  I would
like it if everyone would just do things this way and we'd stop having to play
enforcer.

Scott K