Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Mar 4 10:07:44 UTC 2013

Hi,

Rick Spencer wrote:
> ... rolling releases ...

As the LibreOffice maintainer I am very happy to hear this, for a set of
reasons, but since so many have already been covered, let me just focus on the
two most essential:
- while the upstream release plan was explicitly crafted to arrive with a good
  release before feature freeze in the upcoming Ubuntu release, such tight
  interlocking leaves little room for errors or corrections. Like with aircraft
  liftoff there is a decision point (V1) after which a new LibreOffice major
  release essentially has to go in, no matter what happens. The tight
  interlocking of schedules made this point essentially the UDS at the begin of
  the cycle and then allowed for no flexibility afterwards.
- The number of both supported Ubuntu releases and upstream releases (with
  backports in the PPA) made regression tracking and finding a pain. When you
  multiply one current upstream major, one stable upstream major and one upstream
  major we released an Ubuntu series with the number of supported Ubuntu
  releases, I think its easy to understand the problem.

Lets get rolling!

Best,

Bjoern