Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 15:03:32 UTC 2013

On Mar 01, 2013, at 08:18 AM, Ted Gould wrote:

>The problem there being that UDS is only signing up for more work, not a
>point where the work has to be delivered :-)  Ubuntu has had, in the
>past, an issue where the run up for UDS involves making sure we mark
>everything as POSTPONED.

I don't think that's a bad thing. ;) I'm probably not alone in being pretty
ambitious in work I propose at UDSes, and over the course of a cycle, reality
hits and work items start to get postponed.  I hope shorter cycles will lead
to more realistic planning.

However, not everything will be captured in 3-month blueprints.  Some
transitions and larger scale changes just take a long time.  I knew for
example that some of the things I wanted to accomplish since the last LTS
would take 2 years to fully realize.  Cycle-linked blueprints aren't a good
way to track that work, IMO.

-Barry