This missing kernel headers on our latest stable release madness...

Timo Jyrinki timo.jyrinki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 06:13:13 UTC 2013

2013/2/22 Scott Ritchie <scottritchie at ubuntu.com>:
> I'm not sure what the underlying fix should be, but it is making me question
> if there's some sort of larger process issue here because we've managed to
> drop this on the floor for so long.

A good question. It might be that the proprietary drivers haven't been
pushed in QA/Testing teams high enough, compared to how much users use
them and how jockey suggests installing them. The problem is furthered
by the history of non-Ubuntu bugs/problems with at least fglrx.

Right now there has been the case of AMD dropping support for HD
2000-4000 series in the newer drivers, and only the newer drivers
support newer kernels. I'm not sure what's the exact situation for
12.04.2 (or 12.10) - do they suggest an uninstallable fglrx driver for
HD 2000 - 4000 users or not. I think the Modaliases of the package's
control file is used, so the question is whether that is properly
stripped of the now unsupported series. If anyone wants to tinker...

-Timo