Debian Sync - Re: Let's Discuss Interim Releases (and a Rolling Release)

Micah Gersten micahg at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 1 05:14:57 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 11:03 PM, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Micah Gersten [2013-02-28 13:33 -0600]:
>> Yes, but our britney doesn't delay migration to allow for testing of the
>> built packages or block based on RC bugs filed.
> Not on RC bugs, but we can still block them manually. Pinging any
> release team member about that works right now.
>
> What appears to be a crucial prerequisite for this is to integrate our
> autopkgtest results into britney, though.
Well, since we have only a small amount of people that can make a bug RC
(~500), maybe we should socialize a bit more that if there's an RC bug,
the triager should hop into #ubuntu-release and ask for a block to be
put in place.
>> Perhaps if we had our own version of unstable/testing in the rolling
>> release, we could approach that level of quality.
> We have the raring-proposed staging area, which is kind of like that?
No, raring-proposed is only for automatic testing, it's not meant to be
used by end users.  Some bugs don't surface until the software is run as
almost all test suites don't have total code coverage.  As more
autopkgtests are added, I'm sure the number of RC bugs that hit users
will decline, but until test suites in most major software are
comprehensive, having the human testing is quite valuable.

Micah