non-Unity flavours and Mir

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Jun 18 10:08:33 UTC 2013

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 09:00:26 AM Aigars Mahinovs wrote:
> On 18 June 2013 07:33, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> >  - What's the time line?  When , if we follow along with Ubuntu, would we
> >
> > expect to run with XMir instead of X and when would we expect to integrate
> > with MIR natively?
>
> Based solely on comments from this thread, as far as I understand, both
> Ubuntu and KDE will maintain the ability to work with X for the foreseeable
> timeframe, so this more of a question on which happens first - Ubuntu
> stopping support for X based desktop environments (unlikely to be very
> soon, given the popularity of XFCE and friends) or KWin dropping X support
> in favour of Wayland-only solution (also unlikely to be quite soon given
> how many distros are not shipping Wayland by default yet).
>
> There might theoretically be new features that work on Mir (or Wayland),
> but not on X, but those are likely to be minor and more related to boot
> and/or user switching rather than actual work.

We covered this already.  That's true, but it's also rather more likely that
at some point the X stack will atrophy to the point that it will be buggy and
not so reliable (I know that the several engineers Canonical have had working
on X related issues are doing actual stuff, so it's safe to assume that if they
are focused elsewhere, it will have an actual effect) and so eventually, the
fact that X still exists in Ubuntu is unlikely to be a sufficient condition.

As I've said before, I have no idea how long eventually is.

Scott K