non-Unity flavours and Mir

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Sun Jun 16 12:03:20 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 01:10:29PM -0700, Jono Bacon wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
>
> > Primary focus for GNOME will be Wayland. There are a few things that
> > Wayland does not support that X did support. This will result in having
> > to do things differently. See e.g. the various forms of 'deprecate' is
> > mentioned on https://live.gnome.org/Wayland/GTK%2B as well as
> > https://live.gnome.org/Wayland/Gaps.
> >

> Many thanks for providing some clarity, much appreciated. :-)
>
> Quick question: do you think the GNOME project may be interested in
> exploring Mir as a display server to support. If Thomas is offering to hop
> on a call or discussion with the KWin folks, I am wondering if GNOME may be
> interested.
>
> I completely understand that your focus is Wayland, but if a member of the
> GNOME community is interested in exploring building Mir support, I want to
> ensure we can be as supportive as possible.

When I asked about Mir, a Mir developer made it really clear that Mir is
just for Unity. Any different or conflicting needs would not be taken
into account. Meaning: adjust to how Unity does things.

For Wayland all kind of changes were made and have to be made. I have 0
idea on how much overlap there is for Mir, but Wayland is more than just
another render backend. If similar changes are needed for Mir it could
conflict with Wayland.

Still, if there is someone who wants to support Mir (long term like a
co-maintainer, not just some patches), I don't see why not. I don't know
who uses which distribution though, seems easiest to just write to
relevant mailing lists.
--
Regards,
Olav