Call for votes: Developer Membership Board restaffing

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Thu Jan 31 19:17:09 UTC 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 05:08 PM, Jani Monoses wrote:

>There is too much coupling between Ubuntu membership and upload rights.

This comes up often, and there have been discussions about separating the two
aspects but nothing's come of it.  I do think it would be useful to separate
these concerns, especially as it pertains to PPU.

>While there are many developers who are both uploaders and contribute broadly
>to other non-technical aspects of the project, I think PPU should be seen as
>a focused technical role closer to that of traditional upstreams.

+1 IMHO.

>I'd also argue that endorsements from people who had sponsored and worked
>closely with the applicant in the past should have a greater weight than they
>apparently do and the process should not be about interview style packaging
>related questions.

FWIW, as a DMB member who is not up for re-election this year, I do put a lot
of weight into the endorsements, especially when they come from highly
respected Ubuntu developers.  I think of it as "vouching" for the prospective
developer and shouldn't be given or taken lightly.  As much due diligence as
the DMB does and should do, sponsors have more direct and high-bandwidth
interactions with the prospective developer, and that feedback is very
valuable.  Occasionally, a sponsor will contact the DMB directly to vouch for
someone, and I have found that to be quite persuasive.  I don't think it's
necessary in every case (please don't bombard us! :) but for decisions where
I've been on the fence, strong positive endorsements can make the difference.

Cheers,
-Barry